Bituminous Plant Tech 1
|Title:||Bituminous Plant Tech 1|
|Location:||Greens Landing (PA)|
Responsible for the daily quality control of the hot mix asphalt operations to ensure the quality of the materials produced meets specifications. This hourly, non-exempt position will work with direct and indirect supervision.
* Daily obtain representative samples and perform specific tests of each material used in the production of HMA. Record results of all tests performed in state book document, as well as company computer.
* Assist in the development of and the compliance with the facility’s Quality Control Plan.
* Daily discuss test results and production processes with the Plant Leader and Plant Operator. As needed, discuss material results with PennDOT representatives.
* Prepare daily, weekly and/or monthly test reports and submit and review with GOH officials as needed.
* Maintain a thorough knowledge of applicable test procedures and material specifications.
* Prepare and supply certifications for materials shipped as required, and maintain copies for quick reference as needed.
* Identify and reject any material that does not meet specification.
* Make necessary adjustments to mix formulas to target design values as needed.
* Assist in the development of needed HMA designs.
* Exercise proper care and maintenance of all company equipment.
* Occasionally operate a vehicle on company business.
* Frequently work more than 40 hours per week and non-traditional hours including night shift, Saturdays and occasionally Sundays.
* Perform additional assignments per supervisor’s direction.
* Basic Mathematics.
* Principles, practices and techniques of testing hot mix asphalt and aggregates.
* PennDOT Publications:
-Publication 19 – Pennsylvania Test Methods
-Publication 408 – Specifications:
-Section 106 – Control of Material
-Section 703 – Aggregate
-All Sections relative to Bituminous pavement
-309; 360; 401; 409; 420; 421; 422, etc.
-Bulletin 27 – Bituminous Concrete Mixtures, Design Procedures, and Specifications for Special Bituminous Mixtures
* Learn other test procedures that are not a daily requirement, such as:
-Fine and coarse aggregate absorptions and specific gravities.
-Mix design development procedures.
-Mix design submittal procedures.
* Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
* Teach others to do these duties.
* Work alone or with others in a team.
* Maintain neat, legible, and accurate documentation.
* Proficiently use Microsoft Office software products.
* Attend and pass “PennDOT’s Superpave Volumetric Mix Design Workshop” course within three years as a Bituminous Plant Level 1 Technician.
* Learn and follow GOH Company policies and procedures.
* Must obtain a current Pennsylvania Bituminous Plant Level 1 Technician Certification.
* Must have a valid driver’s license for state in which you reside with acceptable driving record per company minimum standards for drivers.
* Minimum of a High school Diploma or equivalent required.
* Minimum of 1 year as a recognized Bituminous Plant Technician in Training, or related field preferred.
* Similar credentials from another state.
* Ability to lift up to 50 pounds from ground level to work-bench height.
* Ability to perform physical labor in varying weather and terrain, as well as in a lab environment and tolerate limited exposure to heat and dust.
* Ability to wear required personal protective equipment.
* Ability to climb stairs and ladders.
* Ability to shovel.
* Ability to sit or be on your feet for extended periods of time.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully.