Laborer - Paving
|Title:||Laborer - Paving|
|Location:||Grove City (PA)|
Perform a variety of manual duties to support paving crew. This hourly, non-exempt position will work with direct supervision.
* Collect and distribute weight tickets to customer and Foreman; record/scan truck job arrival and job departure time on weight tickets.
* Guide/direct trucks into paver without contacting the paver, ensuring all personnel are clear and other utilities, manholes, water valves, inlets and dropoffs are being navigated around.
* Ensure air ride suspension trucks “dump their air” prior to raising the bed of the truck to lower the center of gravity. Maintain dump position at the rear of the paver hopper to stay clear of the side of the truck.
* Direct discharge of load into paver, at a gradual pace, maintaining truck alignment and a constant flow from the truck to the paver keeping in visual contact with the Paver Operator and truck driver, paying special attention to overhead utilities and severe slopes that will require reducing the paving speed.
* Ensure at least 25% asphalt material is maintained in the paver hopper. Do not completely empty paver hopper.
* Upon completion of dumping load, advise Paver Operator and truck driver that load has been emptied. Direct driver to put truck bed down completely before pulling away from paver.
* Responsible for pre-paving requirements of stationing roadway in 100 foot intervals, painting paver passes/edges out, preparing surface to be paved by milling, shoveling and sweeping to clean area. Evaluate the site for any potential hazards and discuss with Foreman.
* Walk beside the paver behind the screed to correct any mat imperfections or hand work around utilities, driveways, side streets using shovels and lutes to place the material and hand tampers and vibraplates to compact material not accessible to rollers.
* Constantly be aware of the potential hazards present when working around construction equipment and the motoring public.
* Adhere to paving safety rules at all times.
* Set up and tear down traffic control devices as needed, while safely operating a company vehicle.
* Relieve flaggers, as required, throughout the day, while safely operating a company vehicle.
* Exercise proper care and maintenance of company equipment.
* Frequently work more than 40 hours per week and non-traditional hours including night shift, Saturdays and occasionally Sundays.
* Perform additional assignments per supervisor’s direction.
* Tools, including their maintenance.
* Communication hand signals.
* Basic math.
* Learn and follow GOH Company policies and procedures.
* Perform basic math calculations.
* Must successfully complete PennDOT Flagger Training Course.
* Must have a valid driver’s license for the state in which you reside with acceptable driving record per company minimum standards for drivers .
* Prefer a valid Class B CDL with Hazmat and tanker endorsements.
* Prefer high school diploma or equivalent.
* Prefer previous highway construction experience.
* Ability to lift up to 50 pounds consistently.
* Ability to walk, bend, lift and stand for long periods of time in outdoor weather.
* Ability to work in field environments with exposure to dust, inclement weather conditions, extreme heat, noise, vibrations and a variety of petroleum products.
* Ability to wear required personal protective equipment.
* Ability to walk and work on uneven terrain.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully.