Operator - Paving Roller
|Title:||Operator - Paving Roller|
|Location:||Greens Landing (PA)|
Safely operate the roller communicating with density technician on the prescribed roller pattern required, maximizing effective rolling width with the proper static or vibratory mode, selection of amplitude and frequency to maintain proper impact per foot for compacting hot mix asphalt or aggregate bases. This hourly, non-exempt position will work with direct and indirect supervision.
* Perform machine walk-around inspection daily checking fluid levels, hoses, isolators, drum scrapers, water system, distribution mats and wear components to verify machine is capable of performing safely and productively.
* Report deficiencies to Foreman via squawk sheets.
* Perform pre-shift component check to verify all systems are functioning properly.
*Operate the roller in concert with the density technician selecting the static or vibratory mode with a corresponding amplitude and frequency (VPM) setting appropriate for the mix type and depth.
* Compact longitudinal joints from cold side to hot with 6” overlap or if not possible due to traffic, compact from hot side to cold with 6” overlap.
* Safely operate equipment in and among live traffic.
* Perform manual compaction in areas not accessible to rollers.
* Perform long pass, as conditions allow, to minimize the number of reversing locations. Arc roller prior to reversing, utilize heat gun to maintain roller pattern is the proper temperature zones.
* Operate roller to maintain proper impact spacing to meet smoothness requirements.
* Proactively communicate with paving personnel to monitor paving speed and adjust as required; effectively communicate with density technician on density results to make adjustments that may be needed throughout the course of shift.
* Perform end-of-day maintenance, clean-up and walk around to ensure mechanical and physical condition of the roller meets manufacturer’s requirements.
* Adhere to and enforce paving safety rules.
* Perform laboring assignments on crew when Paving Roller Operator duties are complete or not required.
* Exercise proper care and maintenance of company equipment.
* Travel and arrive for starting time at various jobsite locations.
* Frequently work more than 40 hours per week and non-traditional hours including night shift, Saturdays and occasionally Sundays.
* Perform additional assignments per supervisor’s direction.
* Function, features, abilities, amplitude and frequency (VPM), and impact per foot of double drum rollers.
* Hand tamper and vibraplate functions, including maintenance.
* Hot mix asphalt design characteristics.
* Basic math.
* Learn and follow GOH Company policies and procedures.
* Prefer a valid driver’s license for the state in which you reside with acceptable driving record per company minimum standards for drivers.
* Must successfully complete PennDOT Flagger Training Course.
* Prefer high school diploma or equivalent.
* Previous paving or heavy equipment experience preferred.
* Ability to lift up to 50 pounds consistently.
* Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
* Ability to work in field environment with exposure to dust, inclement weather, extreme heat, noise, fuel and vibrations.
* Ability to physically climb on and off equipment safely.
* Ability to wear required personal protective equipment.
* Ability to walk and work on uneven terrain.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully.