Assistant Shop Superintendent
|Title:||Assistant Shop Superintendent|
The primary function of this position is to assist the Shop Superintendent with supervision and management of shop activities and act with the full authority of the Shop Superintendent in his/her absence. The Assistant Shop Superintendent will effectively lead and coordinate all day-to-day equipment maintenance activities in both shop and field environments. This position will manage the shop business to ensure that company equipment is maintained, repaired and utilized as cost effectively as possible, continually stressing teamwork at all levels. This is an hourly, non-exempt position that will work with direct and indirect supervision.
* Prioritize, plan and schedule all maintenance tasks, along with the design/fabrication of projects for field operations; make decisions with aid from other company leaders, utilizing all available information.
* Assist in managing and directing parts personnel to ensure cost effective purchasing and inventory control of parts.
* Provide input to the shop superintendent regarding the skills and abilities of staff.
* Provide leadership, guidance and encouragement in the shop environment.
* Ensure company meets all governmental guidelines for inspection station records, tools, hazardous waste, air compressor certification, fire extinguishers, etc.
* Ensure all company policies, safety regulations and good housekeeping guidelines are observed.
* Proactively communicate with the Leaders and Equipment Operators concerning equipment and job-related projects.
* Exercise proper care and maintenance of company equipment.
* Communicate regularly with the shop superintendent to ensure easy transition in leadership changes and smooth day-to-day operation of shop.
* Frequently work more than 40 hours per week and non-traditional hours including night shift, Saturdays and occasionally Sundays.
* Consistently work on personal growth plan.
* Perform additional assignments per supervisor’s direction.
* Basic computer skills and common commercial software.
* Heavy equipment and on-road highway trucks.
* Mechanical concepts and procedures.
* Parts/Inventory Procedures.
* Promote a safe and productive work environment.
* Learn, follow and enforce GOH Company policies and procedures.
* Delegate tasks and responsibilities.
* Demonstrated high degree of analytical ability and organizational skills.
* Proven leadership and team building experience, preferably in a maintenance environment.
* Effective interpersonal verbal and written communication skills.
* Valid driver’s license for state in which you reside with acceptable driving record per company minimum standards for drivers.
* High school graduate or equivalent.
* Prefer additional training such as two years of college and/or graduation from a technical school.
* Requires either a minimum of five years experience in heavy equipment/diesel repair and maintenance or previous leadership experience in a maintenance environment.
* Previous experience with parts/inventory procedures preferred.
Required and Preferred Training:
* Preventative Maintenance Program
* Engine Electronics
* Machine Electronics
* CDL (preferred)
* PA Inspection (preferred)
* MSHA (if applicable)
* Drug Free Workplace
* Basic Management
* Selecting and Retaining
* Ability to work in shop or field environments with exposure to dust, welding fumes, exhaust vapors, noise, confined spaces, and inclement weather conditions.
* Ability to wear required personal protective equipment.
* Ability to work with fuel and other petroleum products.
* Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
* Ability to climb on and off equipment safely.
* Ability to bend, kneel, or squat to reach repair areas.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully.