Operator - Screed
|Title:||Operator - Screed|
|Location:||Greens Landing (PA)|
Safely operate screed, communicating and working in concert with Paver Operator and dumpman to facilitate a consistent paving speed and uniform head of material, placed at the specified depth, width and slope required. This hourly, non-exempt position will work with direct and indirect supervision.
* Prior to inspecting screed components and with assistance from the Paver Operator, place screed on locks and block under screed to prevent potential crushing accident. Rubber tire unit to use chalk block on tires.
* Perform machine walk-around inspection specifically targeting the screed, check tow points, hydraulic cylinders (screed tow
points & screed lift), main screed, screed extensions, heating system, augers, extensions, mainframe & vibratory system to verify screed is set-up and capable of safely performing productively to meet the required job specifications.
* Report deficiencies to Foreman via squawk sheets.
* Perform pre-shift component check to verify all systems are functioning properly.
* Control, monitor and adjust the placement depth, slope and width to meet job specifications, utilizing pokers to verify depth placement, smart levels to verify slope, and grade stakes to verify alignment/width.
* Communicate constantly with Paver Operator and dumpman to monitor truck exchange, material feed, obstacles or site conditions paying special attention to overhead utilities, severe slopes that will require reducing the bed height and paving speed to maximize safety, quality and productivity.
* Safely operate equipment in and among live traffic.
* Perform laboring/luting in areas not accessible to paver and tie in locations utilizing straight edge for mainline transverse joints.
* Perform end-of-shift maintenance, cleanup and walk around to ensure mechanical and physical condition of the paver/screed meets manufacturer’s requirements.
* Adhere to and enforce paving safety rules.
* Perform laboring assignments on crew when screed duties are complete or not required.
* Set up and tear down traffic control devices as needed, while safely operating a company vehicle.
* Relieve flaggers, as required, throughout the day, while safely operating a company vehicle.
* Exercise proper care and maintenance of company equipment.
* Frequently work more than 40 hours per week and non-traditional hours including night shift, Saturdays and occasionally Sundays.
* Perform additional assignments per supervisor’s direction.
* Basic principles of paving with free-floating screed.
* Controls and function of screed.
* Hot asphalt mix design characteristics with ability to adjust for mat texture imperfections.
* Communication hand signals.
* Topcon grade/slope system.
* Learn and follow GOH company policies and procedures.
* Read measurements.
* Must have a valid driver’s license for the state in which you reside with acceptable driving record per company minimum
standards for drivers.
* Must have basic math skills to calculate and maintain yield and measuring abilities.
* Must successfully complete PennDOT Flagger Training Course.
* Prefer high school diploma or equivalent.
* Previous operating experience preferred.
* Ability to lift up to 50 pounds consistently.
* Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
* Ability to work in field environment with exposure to dust, inclement weather conditions, extreme heat, noise and vibrations.
* Ability to physically climb on and off equipment safely.
* Ability to wear required personal protective equipment.
* Ability to walk and work on uneven terrain.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications