|Location:||State College (PA)|
Perform all labor tasks as assigned by supervisor related to general site/highway construction with particular goal of installing utilities and pipelines. This hourly, non-exempt position will work with direct and indirect supervision.
* Perform all functions as assigned by supervisor related to general site/highway construction.
* Act as lead laborer to carry out directions as assigned by the Crew Leader.
* Responsible for the proper installation of pipelines and other utilities.
* Be aware of and responsive to safety issues related to excavation and trenching.
* Monitor excavations and shoring systems for safety, and communicate observations to the Crew Leader.
* Ensure that excavations are performed to grade.
* Ensure pipe and fittings are installed in the proper manner as specified.
* Assist in developing and testing plans for each project; assist in carrying them out.
* Ensure proper procedures for installation are carried out by others.
* Exercise proper care and maintenance of company equipment.
* Frequently work more than 40 hours per week and non-traditional hours including night shift, Saturdays and occasionally Sundays.
* Perform additional assignments per supervisor’s direction.
* The proper methods for the installation of various types and styles of pipe to include, but not limited to: PVC glue-on and slip joint pipes, ductile iron slip-on, restrained joint, and mechanical joint pipes and fittings, copper pipes with compression fittings, PEP and corrugated metal pipes, fire hydrants, taps and saddles, and link seals.
* Various shoring systems and preparations for their use. Understand the situations that dictate their use.
* Grade control systems – site and pipe lasers, grade stakes, string lines, etc. - and be able to set them up.
* Arrive promptly at designated time and place, and be ready and able to perform assigned tasks.
* Demonstrate relevant math skills.
* Effectively communicate with equipment operators and other crew members to achieve desired outcome.
* Learn and follow GOH Company policies and procedures.
* Read plans, profiles and details preferred.
* Follow direct instructions working with and without direct supervision.
* Any combination of education and experience that would provide the knowledge to perform the essential functions.
* Basic understanding of OSHA regulations that relate to trenching, shoring, and confined space work.
* Prefer valid driver’s license for the state in which you reside with acceptable driving record per company minimum standards for drivers.
* Prefer ability to operate small trucks and vans (non-CDL).
* Must successfully complete PennDOT Flagger Training Course.
* Prefer high school diploma or equivalent.
* Prefer a minimum of two years of experience working with pipe, utility or grading crew on heavy and highway construction projects.
* Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
* Ability to work in field environments with exposure to dust, inclement weather conditions, extreme heat, noise, vibration, and a variety of petroleum products.
* Ability to wear required personal protective equipment.
* Ability to walk and work on uneven terrain.
* Ability to walk, bend, lift, and stand for long periods of time in outdoor weather.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully.