Trainee Truck Driver (Heavy Duty)
|Title:||Trainee Truck Driver (Heavy Duty)|
|Location:||State College (PA)|
Per PENNDOT OJT Manual - Truck Driver (Heavy Duty) (50.01)
This is an affirmative action position to provide on the job training opportunities to minority, female and disadvantaged persons to improve their potential for construction employment. Develop all skills required of heavy highway truck drivers to support the foreman in all activities of the trucking operation to include but not limited to: knowledge and maintenance of single- and multi-rear axle trucks meeting the requirements for Pennsylvania Commercial Driver's Licensing. This includes a general knowledge of laws, regulations, and operation of the stated vehicle. Trainee will be able to perform a pre-trip inspection of his/her vehicle and be able to explain what one inspects and why (license requirement). The trainee will be able to maneuver and control the vehicle in a safe fashion (skills test for licensing). The trainee will be able to handle the vehicle onsite and in an on-the-road situation. These tasks will include signaling, searching for hazards, controlling speed, and lane positioning. Trainee will conform to the Pennsylvania Commercial Driver's Licensing Requirements and will be given a Commercial Driver's Manual at the beginning of their training. (Appointee must have a valid driver's license.) Performs other related duties as directed by the foreman.
Skills to be learned with the supervision of the supervising foreman:
* Receive instruction, observe, and assist truck drivers in all tasks outlined in the job description.
* Receive instruction to determine speed and direction of vehicle based on knowledge of operations.
* Receive instruction and training from truck foreman in the following skills: safety procedures, routine fueling, lubricating and servicing, and pre-inspection of vehicle.
* Observe and demonstrate how to drive and maneuver the vehicle in a forward and backward motion.
* Demonstrate ability to perform a pre-trip inspection on vehicle.
* Demonstrate ability to drive vehicle onsite, loading and unloading of all materials over all terrains, controlling speed to road surface, spacing, and handling of vehicle in a safe fashion.
* Demonstrate ability to control vehicle on and off site, matching speeds to road conditions (wet, dry, snow, or ice), time of day or night driving.
* Demonstrate knowledge of procedures for vehicle maintenance in case of breakdown or tire failures, understands air brake systems if any vehicle is equipped with the system.
* Receive additional instruction from foreman, as deemed necessary.
Hiring Considerations: The following guidelines are set forth to insure the safety and well being of a trainee and fellow worker.
* Minimum of 18 years of age.
* The applicant should demonstrate evidence of a reasonable amount of intelligence to handle the technical elements of the job.
* The applicant should show evidence of a reasonable amount of aptitude and interest in the craft.
* The applicant shall have a valid license (i.e., equipment operator, truck driver or highway).
* No applicant shall be accepted as a trainee in any classification in which they have successfully completed a training program leading toward journeyperson status, or in which such person has been gainfully employed as a journeyman by virtue of informal on the job training.
* If an individual or apprentice was enrolled as a 'trainee' and has quit three (3) times, they will no longer be eligible to participate in the program. This determination can be addressed on a case by case basis.
* Must be in good health or be able to pass a pre job physical, should one be required.
Special Provisions (TSPs) #1999 9999
DESCRIPTION As part of the project equal employment opportunity affirmative action program, provide on the job training aimed at developing candidates toward full journeymen in the type of trade or job classification.
* Training and upgrading of minorities and women toward journeyman status is a primary objective of this special provision.
* Documentation of ethnic claim may be necessary to ensure eligibility for PENNDOT OJT Program.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications